Updating Your Voter Registration

Life happens and change is part of the normal routine. But it is important to make sure your voter registration is up to date! You must update your voter registration if you:

  • Change your address
  • Change your name
  • Change your party affiliation

The two easiest and convenient methods of updating your voter registration are:

  1. Online through the Iowa Department of Transportation Online Service website. An Iowa Driver's license or non-operator ID is required to register in this manner.
  2. Download an Iowa Voter Registration form. The mailing address is provided on the registration form.

If you have moved within Linn County, then you may report your voter registration changes at the polling location for the address where you live on election day. You will be asked for identification AND proof that has your name and current address.

The following forms of identification are accepted:

  • Iowa Driver's License (not expired more than 90 days)
  • Iowa Non-driver Identification card (not expired more than 90 days)
  • U.S. Passport/Card
  • U.S. Military ID/Veteran ID Card
  • Tribal ID Card/Document
  • Iowa Voter Identification Card (must be signed)

The following forms of residency are accepted but documents must be current within 45 days:

  • Iowa Driver's License/Non-driver ID
  • Residential Lease/ College Residency Letter
  • Property Tax Statement (current within 45 days of final payment)
  • Utility Bill, including cell phone bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Paycheck
  • Government Check/Document

Did you move to a different county? You may register to vote on election day using Election Day Registration.

Do you need to find your new polling location? Use our Linn County Election Lookup Tool.