The Linn County Treasurer’s Office is NOT taking appointments for title transfers. However, this process can also be conducted remotely without visiting the Treasurer's Office. Please see the instructions below to complete a title transfer without an appointment.
Follow these instructions to complete your title transfer if you:
- Purchased a new or used vehicle (car, truck, SUV, motorhome, motorcycle)
- Purchased a new or used trailer (utility, cargo, travel trailer, mobile home)
- Recently moved into the State of Iowa
This is NOT transfers of boats, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, ATVs, or OHVs. Those are done with the Recorder’s Office.
Email the following information to TitleTransfers@LinnCounty.org:
- FULL LEGAL name, current address and phone number for all buyers (If more than one buyer, do you want “and” or “or” between your names on the title? “And” means everyone would need to sign the back of the title when you sell the vehicle; “Or” means only one of you would.
- New residents only: the only forms of ID we accept are Iowa Driver’s License, Iowa Identification Card, Social Security Number. If you do not yet have an Iowa DL or ID, please provide your SSN as well as your date of birth.
- If you are moving in from out of state, what date (MM/DD/YYYY) did you permanently move the vehicle into the state of Iowa?
- Copy of front and back of the title (new residents may only have a registration if making payments on the vehicle)
- Copy of bill of sale or purchase agreement (required for all transfers)
- What color is the vehicle?
- What renewal month would you like for registration?
- Is there a lien? If yes, who is the lien holder? What is their address?
- Do you have plates from another vehicle you have recently sold or junked that you would like to transfer to this vehicle?
- If yes, what is the plate number? What is the date you sold or junked that vehicle?
- If no, do you want the standard county design or a special plate design? If you want a specialty plate, please specify which specialty plate you are wanting to get.
We will review your information and build the transfer in the system. Someone from our office will follow up with what the next steps are to complete this process. We appreciate your patience as we navigate this new way of doing business. Please allow up to five full business days for a response from us before you send in your original paperwork and payment.
Payment with all original documents must mailed or dropped in the white drop box located in the parking lot outside the Public Service Center at 935 2nd St. SW in Cedar Rapids. It is recommended you keep copies for yourself while work is being processed.
Linn County Treasurer
935 2nd St SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404